“I scream. You scream. The police come… It’s awkward”
Let me just preface this post by saying that this gelato is one hundred percent not healthy for you. It is neither dairy or sugar-free, nor is it free from fats, calories, or the guilt synonymous with indulging in sugar ridden, summer treats such as this. Just good ol’ fashioned, “how your momma made it”, gelato. Okay – I lied, I actually felt zero percent guilt when I sat down to consume nearly an entire pint in just one sitting. OH – & we did use gluten-free cones from Let’s Do Organic; so there’s also that…
Do It Yourself Cherry Gelato
So what exactly does this cherry gelato have goin’ for it? Well for one, the taste is fan-freakin-tastic &, more importantly, we used real, whole ingredients. No preservatives, no articifical flavouring or colouring & NONE of that disgusting powdered milk nonsense that seems to be floating around the ingredient lists of conventional ice cream or gelato these days.
REAL organic cherries, REAL organic milk , REAL organic eggs & REAL organic cream.
ALSO, Andrei has just informed me that gelato is considered a health food in Italy. Do we have any Italian readers here? Can we get a fact check on this? Because this would REALLY help my case here…. 😉
Anywho – regardless as to whether or not this cherry gelato would be considered “healthy” – it is a “better for you” alternative in comparison to those typically lining the grocery shelves. And it will more than do trick when that sweet tooth needs a little satisfying, & n’ice cream simply isn’t cutting it! Because sometimes, ya just need the real deal folks! So without further ado, here’s Andrei’s Cherry Gelato!!!!
Ps. You’re SO welcome!!!!!
Here’s What You’ll Need
For the Gelato Base
- 2 cups organic milk
- 1 cup organic cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 organic egg yolks
For the Cherries
- 1 cup organic cherries (pitted)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1tbsp of vanilla extract
*** add the pitted cherries, sugar & vanilla into a blender & pulse – you’re going to want to leave a couple of chunks of cherries!!! For texture’s sake!
What to Do
- Mix egg yolks with sugar in a mixer until fully blended
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, add in the milk & cream bring to 170 F (stir occasionally)
- Temper egg & sugar mixture with milk, & add to the sauce pan
- Bring mixture to 180 F (stir continuously for 10 mins).
- Cool this mixture in the fridge overnight.
- Add mixture to ice cream maker; add in cherry mixture! **** Hot tip: We also added in 1 ounce of melted chocolate into the mix as well! Not MANDATORY – but definitely recommended!
- Allow the ice cream maker to work its magic!!! You want to keep the mixture in the ice cream maker until it reaches a nice, rich & creamy texture!