“I love celebrating the holidays. Sometimes I’ll even put some eggnog in my rum”
Okay so let’s just be completely honest with one another. Eggnog has, & will always be, the greatest thing that man has ever created over the course of our stint here on planet Earth. It is quite literally what I would imagine consuming dreams & rainbows would be like. Now I can only assume that all of you wholeheartedly accept this statement to be one hundred percent fact, so I therefore took it upon myself to dare to try & make Eggnog even more incredible than it already is. Guys… mission accomplished. This past weekend, Andrei & I made quite possibly the EASIEST Eggnog ice cream EVER. Like even easier than the infamous banana “nice-cream” that has overwhelmingly plagued our Insta feeds for the past two years. Yes… that easy! AND, I mean how perfect for Christmas Dessert right?
Eggnog Ice Cream – Two Ways
Okay so I am sharing TWO variations of this Eggnog Ice Cream with all of you today. One is the legit version that requires a little bit more of your time & effort, while the other is totally a “cheater” version that practically requires zero work at all. If you have the time & patience then you should absolutely make the legit variation because it IS better plain & simple – however since the holidays can be filled with stress, madness & chaos… caving & going with the cheat version is one hundred percent allowed! We made the simpler recipe on Saturday & it STILL tasted really good!
Well… I don’t want to keep you sitting on the edges of your seats any longer than necessary. Read below for the recipes!
1. Legit Version
Ingredients – we used THIS recipe for eggnog & made a couple of minor adjustments!
- 6 egg yolks – use organic eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1.5 cup heavy cream
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon & nutmeg – grated for garnish
- Mix egg yolks with sugar in a mixer until fully blended
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, add in the milk, cloves & cream bring to 170 F (stir occasionally)
- Temper egg & sugar mixture with milk, & add to the sauce pan
- Bring mixture to 180 F (stir continuously for 10 mins).
- Cool this mixture in the fridge overnight.
- Add mixture to ice cream maker;
- Allow the ice cream maker to work its magic!!! You want to keep the mixture in the ice cream maker until it reaches a nice, rich & creamy texture!
- Serve in individual cups
- Garnish with ground nutmeg & cinnamon
Now… if you do NOT have an ice cream maker, well then you’re essentially just SOL. LOL – kidding. I’ve actually never tried making ice cream without an actual ice cream maker, however I am told that it IS possible! I thought that instead of pretending to know what I’m doing in this department, I would link to a site that shares a few different ice cream making methods sans machine!! Click HERE to view them!
2. Cheater Version
- Your favourite store bought Natural Eggnog… that’s it. Why? Well, I am told by my ice cream & gelato aficionado fiance that Eggnog is already a custard – so there is no need to actually go through the whole kit & kaboodle of creating a custard prior to pouring it all into the ice cream machine! My suggestion would be to use Harmony Organic Eggnog because it is seriously BOMB! If you’re looking for a vegan option, the So Delicious Eggnog is actually FANTASTIC & tastes JUST like the real deal!
- OH, sorry I totally lied to you, there is one more ingredient but it is optional. Cinnamon for garnish if you want!
- Pour your eggnog into the ice cream maker & let it work its magic for about 20-ish minutes
- After twenty minutes, pour the mixture into a glass container and put it into the freezer overnight
Will you be making this over the holidays?!