Post by Connie Linton; Certified Holistic Nutritionist
Late summer is an amazing time for food, what with all of the fully ripened vegetables & fruits with these amazing jewel colors. I simply can’t get enough! The other day I stared for quite some time at a plum that was the most perfect shade of purple… Mother Nature really is exquisite! Ok off topic here, the other thing that I love about this time of year is the abundance; just a complete overflow of veggie bliss! For me this year it’s all about ZUCCHINI! I love this vegetable; it’s so versatile, light & it absorbs all kinds of flavors. It’s also easy to grill, roast or bake! When the bounty is this fantastic, it can’t help but ignite creativity. This morning I used grated zucchini in muffins & they were absolutely DELICIOUS!
Vegan Zucchini Date Muffins – makes 1 dozen
With kids going back to school muffins are great for a quick, energetic snack & a wonderful addition to the lunch bag. You’ll be happy with this vegan recipe as it’s also dairy & sugar free… not to mention really delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates
- 3/4 cup just boiled water
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole flax seed or shelled sunflower seeds
- 2 cups grated Zucchini
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Place the chopped dates into a glass bowl & pour in the just boiled water. Cover with a pot lid
or plate & allow to soak
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin; I use paper liners but if you don’t have these, a light coat of oil will
- Place the flour, baking powder & soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger,& salt into a large
bowl. Whisk ingredients until well blended.
- Stir in the grated zucchini & the flax seed & mix together until the zucchini & flax
is well coated in flour
- Uncover the soaked dates & mash (no need to drain the water) with a fork until
smooth… be sure there’s not too many chunks, but a few is ok!
- Add date mash & oil to the dry ingredients
- Stir just until all flour is absorbed.
- Add the apple cider vinegar & stir until distributed
- Using an ice cream scoop portion the batter evenly & bake for 22 minutes (cooking times may vary based on different ovens)