“Ice Cream cravings are not to be taken lightly”
Betsy Canas Garmon
Every time I hear that ever-recognizable ice cream truck jingle, my inner child immediately loses all control. Summer is simply just not summer without a little bit of ice cream here and there… especially on those super hot days! So I’m rounding up some organic/natural ice cream, gelato, & frozen yogurt parlours in the city, PLUS I’m including one of the simplest & healthiest ways you can make “ice cream” on your own!
Ice Cream, Gelato & Frozen Yogurt Parlours & Brands in Toronto that Offer Organic Options:
Here’s a list of some ice cream, gelato, & frozen yogurt brands/spots (that offer organic options/ingredients) to try out this summer in Toronto!
1. Mapleton’s Organic Dairy Farm – products include ice cream, frozen yogurt, soft serve frozen yogurt, & ice cream sandwiches… which are sold across Canada at select locations!
2. Handmade Organic Delight Fair Trade Chocolate – products include ice cream, sorbets, chocolate, & baked goods! They even include a video so you can watch how your ice cream is made! From farm to cone… How cool?!
3. Coco Crafted Organic Chocolates & Ice Cream – products include ice cream, sorbets, & chocolate… I need to get my hands on their salted caramel flavour!!!
4. Hotel Gelato – on TOP of serving breakfast, brunch, & lunch… products include gelato & baked goods! They ALSO offer gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan, low-sugar, soy-based, & dairy-free options! Did you get all that?! 😛
5. The Red Bench- products include frozen yogurt & cookies.. plus ice cream sandwiches – YUM!
6. Organic Meadow Organic Ice Cream – products include vanilla, strawberry, or chocolate ice cream! Found in select stores!
7. Luna & Larry’s Organic Coconut Bliss- products include ice cream & ice cream bars that are dairy & gluten-free! Check out this map to see where their ice cream ingredients come from! Found in select stores!
8. Hibiscus Cafe- products include homemade, dairy-free ice cream (among crepes & salad options)!
Have YOU ever tried organic ice cream/gelato/frozen yogurt in Toronto?! Let me know WHERE in the comment section!
DIY “Ice Cream”:
If you haven’t already seen this insanely easy homemade “ice cream” recipe floating around various paleo websites, prepare to have your mind positively BLOWN. I’m not sure who or where this idea originated from… but said individual is an absolute genius. Here’s how ya do it!
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 frozen banana
- fruit of your choice *** this is optional, I’ve also tried adding a tiny bit of peanut butter or almond butter and it is SO good! I’ve heard adding peach is great too!
- blend the frozen banana in a blender until you have the consistency & texture that resembles ice cream – depending on the blender, you may need to add some sort of liquid, a dash of almond milk works fine.
How easy is that?! Tastes JUST like ice cream!
What are some of your favourite ice cream flavours?!
PS: In case you MISSED it… here are other posts from our “Summer in the City”theme this month: