“I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it”
Edgar Allen Poe
Okay FULL DISCRETION: this recipe was friggin’ HARD! Opting to go for a more plant-based route, I was seriously lacking a good binding agent sans the eggs… are there any solid plant-based bakers out there that have a good solution for this little issue of mine?! LET ME KNOW PLEASE! Don’t get me wrong… the cookies were delicious & I’m totally happy with the end result – but this recipe was seriously a toughie! Nonetheless, I encourage you to try & attempt some form of this ghoulish delight for yourself… because seriously how cute?!
Tricks & Treats – Vegan & Gluten Free Severed Finger Sugar Cookies
I was inspired by Rachael Ray’s version, which you can find HERE, but I wanted to go for a slightly “healthier” option – but let’s be real… these are still sugar cookies… so let’s all take “healthy” with a grain of salt, shall we? I mean there’s still a plethora of sugar in this bad boy. Okay? Okay.
Any-who, I swapped out a few ingredients here & there… & turned to Yammie’s Noshery for a bit of help on the baking side of things.. & ended up with these fantabulous, creepy little creations!!!! Happy Baking!
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil – Nutiva
- 2tsp Vanilla Extract – Simply Organic
- 1/3 Cup Almond Milk – Silk Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Coconut Flour – Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda – Ambrosia Natural Foods
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder – Ambrosia Natural Foods
- 2 tbsp Potato Starch – Ambrosia Natural Foods
- Sliced almonds – Bulk; Ambrosia Natural Foods
- Raspberry Jam – Crofters Organic
*** All of these wonderfully, amazing products were purchased from Ambrosia Natural Foods.. obviously!!!
- Add Sugar and coconut oil into a bowl
- Add in vanilla extract and almond milk
- In another bowl, add the dry ingredients (baking soda, baking powder, potato starch & coconut flour)
- Add in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients & mix
- Allow the mixture to sit on the counter, while you turn on the oven to 350.
- **** Okay THIS is where it gets seriously difficult. Take balls of the mixture and mould them into finger-like shapes – they will likely try to crumble on you: DON’T LET THEM. You are going to have to go FULL ON Michelangelo on these guys & simply sculpt like you’ve never sculpted before. I moulded them directly on the pan – which seemed to work for me after a while.
- Once you’ve nearly decided to give up on this entire recipe, due to the pure madness that was the sculpting, take a fork & make two sets of indentations on the finger cookies – place them where knuckles should go! Everything is wonderful again.
- Place an almond slice at the tip of the cookie – these are the nails… they look SUPER real
- Pop them in the oven & bake for 13 minutes (spooky right?!) *** each oven is different so please adjust accordingly & keep an eye on them!!
- Take cookies out of the oven & let them sit for about 10-15 minutes to cool
- Dip the end of each finger cookie into the Crofters jam (for the blood!)
- Serve! HOT TIP: Keep a bowl of Crofters Organic Raspberry Jam so that your guests can continue to dip their cookies! It is SOOO SOOO good!! Best combo!
Will you be giving these a go?!