I couldn’t be happier when the long weekends come and I see those three days circled on my calender. Although we no longer own a cottage (moment of silence), I think we have done our best to make our backyard resort–like. So really what I am trying to say is that: the mood, the food and the excess are quite the same whether you go to a cottage or not. I mean it’s just as hard to stay on track when you have company over and a ton of food to prepare and serve every single day of the weekend.
I’ve found that for most people, (including myself) that it’s pretty easy to stick with healthy eating and work-out routines during the week, but for whatever reason the weekends throw a wrench into things.
After every long weekend I find myself with the same complaints…..”i feel so bloated”, “I must lose those extra pounds”, and then I obsess about how these summer weekends can really set us back on our goals. Of course there is always room to splurge ( I do love a good cocktail) but health goals should always be in the back of your mind. It’s really about living consciously.
As the August Long weekend approaches I thought I would share a few tips for how to stay on track over the weekend and still be Healthy, Happy and Hilarious!
- Hydrate- The body actually “cries” for water. No joke it’s even the name of a book. “Your Body’s Many Cries For Water” by F. Batmangheldj M.D. I know you have heard this over and over but I can’t emphasize it enough, especially in the summer heat. You are losing fluids just to stay cool. So always have that water bottle full and accessible. Coconut water is great and has natural electrolytes. Eat watery foods like cucumber and watermelon. A thirsty body can lead to food cravings…..and is often confused with thirst. Try drinking a BIG glass of water the next time you get the munchies and see if the urge goes away.
- Eat a Healthy Breakfast – This is a very important tip and my personal favorite. Eating a healthy breakfast starts your metabolism and helps to control your appetite throughout the day. See below for High Protein Power Pancakes Recipe. Soooooo simple and DELISH.
- Move, Move, Move – You can still enjoy a relaxing weekend away, but try and squeeze some sort of workout or movement. It could be as easy as 10-20 push-ups or get your family and friends involved and go for a walk or a vigorous swim and make it fun.
- Keep it simple- Stick to the basics when eating. Eat lean protein, veggies and salad. Make sure to watch your portions and when you are done eating wait about 20 min before you go for seconds. This is the amount of time needed for your stomach to tell your brain it’s full.
- Limit Alcohol-while alcohol is fat–free, and low in carbs, it’s important to remember that calories do count when it comes to alcohol consumption. Your body processes alcohol first, leaving carbohydrates and fats to get stored as fat instead of getting used as fuel. As you may know, not all alcohol is created equal on the dieting scale and some choices are better than others. Wine: The most calorie friendly selection- It is approx. 20 calories per ounce. So each 5oz glass would be 100 calories with no sodium or fat. This is true for both red and white.
- Keep a food journal-Sounds like a hassle- I know, but this is one of the first steps to conscious eating. Writing down what you eat is best and most accurate way to make yourself accountable and not sabotage your diet over the weekend.
Start your Morning right this Long Weekend with High Protein Power Pancakes
- 1 cup of oats
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of cinnamon
Combine all ingredients and mix in a blender if they are too dry add more cottage cheese. Place on a griddle pan with melted coconut butter or ghee (clarified butter) and make like regular pancakes. Wait until top bubbles and flip.
- 1/2 blueberries
- 1/2 pure maple syrup
- juice of ½ a lemon
Place on the stove top and gently warm.
ENJOY THE WEEKEND
EAT, LIVE, RENEW
For tips on how to stay safe in the sun this long weekend read our previous article here: http://healthyhappyandhilarious.com/?p=117